Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Joanna tried to poison me.

12/09/2009




Two pairs of socks, thermals, black cargo pants, Yeasayer T-shirt, a handmade beanie and a black wool Pea Coat. That’s how I fight the cold today.



I realized last night that I am the last Robison in my family. When I am gone there will be no more. It’s not like I have an illustrious name that deserves to be carried on. I come from a long line of poor white trash. I am the only one to graduate high school. I am the only one to attend collage. I am considered the success in my family. That bar is set pretty low. Unless one of my daughters has a kid out of wedlock, I’m all there is. Maybe I’ll have a son someday.



1995



We had awesome pit tickets for Lollapalooza 1995. Sonic Youth, Pavement, the Jesus Lizard, Beck and Elastica. My wife Tamara, her brother Mike and her cousin Julie went with me. We met this couple sitting next to me. Joanna and Aaron. I thought she was cute, glasses and short hair, and a skirt. Joanna and I talked all day bonding over music. I pretty much ignored Tamara and talked to Joanna. Tamara and I were on the outs anyway so I didn’t feel too bad.

The day got hotter and hotter. The beer was flowing. The music was loud and awesome. Pavement came on. Joanna and I were the only people up front for them. That was our little moment, all alone watching Pavement together. Before Sonic Youth cam on I had a major headache. Joanna took pity on me gave me some aspirin she had in her purse. Sonic Youth hit the stage, it was crowded, Joanna and were pushed into each other a few times. Thurston Moore asked if anybody was from San Pedro. I yelled out that I was. He said then this is for you and the band launched into Tom Violence, my favorite song from them. My head was still pounding; I was getting nauseous and dizzy. A long day in the sun with no food or water was getting to me. I had to leave. Joanna said she hoped it wasn’t the poison aspirin that did it with a little evil smile. I grabbed Tamara and we went home.



About a year later Tamara and I decide to start over thinking it would fix our marriage. We moved to Las Vegas. We both got jobs; she worked in the men’s department at Robinsons. I took a job at Hot Topic. I met this girl there, we talked all day and it instantly clicked, I felt this weird sense of familiarity. I knew this girl from somewhere but where? She said I reminded her of some guy she met at a show. She said he had a Husker Du tattoo on my arm. She said I would have like him. I pulled up my sleeve to show her my arm. She was surprised. We hugged and laughed.



We became best work friends. She suggested I dye my hair pink. I did.

We have been friends ever since. We don’t talk that much anymore, we never see each other, but she is still one of my dearest and best friends. I miss her.

2 comments:

  1. The family name thing is pretty weird. My dad had 3 girls, his sister had 2, and his brother had 2 and then finally a boy. Dad never mentioned caring, but I think he did. I think it's one of those things that just matters, even when it doesn't.

    I did Lollapalooza it's first year -1991. Great line up, great time.

    Small world synchronicity is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete